BWC Post 2 (2024): Week 2 "A Place for Everyone in Every Season: the Calling is Deep & Wide"

The more time I spend at the Boardwalk Chapel, the more I realize that each individual's journey here is, in many ways, entirely different despite the common housing, training, and dinner devotions. It is true that for me, a non-staff-member/wife who seeks to serve with balance, it is quite different due to a lack of official title and plan, but the truth is it's actually different for everyone. Firstly, we all serve in different roles and on different teams. Evangelism, Domestics, Music, and Drama team are quite different from one another, and though all of the teams are trained in Evangelism (the true focus of the ministry), not all of them are equally expected to go out each night in the same way. Music and Drama teams have a heavy focus on the nightly programs which draw people in from the Wildwood Boardwalk, and so, the priority is that. Domestics focuses on getting a healthy and delicious dinner on the table as well as on helping keep the kitchen tidy, and though often those on Domestics go out to evangelize in the evening, sometimes the Domestics schedule looks quite different from that of everyone else. Then, of course, there are the roles no one hears about--the PR person (thus far, always a lady) and Guest Relations--these roles look different dependent on who fills them, but also because they require a form of time and energy that is unique. Guest Relations sends out many emails, updates, and runs the store at the Chapel, and the PR person is focused on getting photos, videos, and stories from people impacted by their time at the BWC, activities that require time and energy. The truth is when making decisions, there is always a cost--something of value will always take away from something else of value. We humans are limited vessels, and can not only, only give of what we have, we also often must focus our energies on specified areas or niches whether that be in the job field or on the mission field. This is why missionaries often look for missionary-teachers to educate their children or cleaners and cooks to help fulfill certain roles as they focus on evangelism, discipleship, and church planting. The Church is an ant colony, and we all have roles and jobs which help the unit function as a whole. 

Isaiah's role, though always focused on the Evangelism aspect, has changed over his Summers here. In 2013, the BWC staff was smaller, and Isaiah got a taste of Drama, Music, and Evangelism fairly equally (the case with many Junior staff who stay for a long time and the case for most youth groupers). In 2014-2015, he worked as Evangelism coordinator alongside Chris Byrd and started leaning more into training others in Evangelism and resource-coordinating (the Bibles and tracts don't order and arrange themselves). Last Summer and this one, Isaiah is an Evangelism Intern under Christ Byrd's leadership, and though he still trains folks in Evangelism and leads teams like he did in 2015, he also preaches sermons and mini-sermons more both during the nightly programs and at various churches around the Jersey area on Sundays. He also is a part of more meetings since he is one of three interns, and much must be arranged and organized. In addition, though there are no longer official house parents at the BWC due to the numerous layers of leadership, protection, and the fantastic Seithers being on site in a home just behind the Chanoux House (the staff girl's dorm), Isaiah and I help with Dunn House organization and streamlining processes like staff chores and Chapel resources.

My role has shifted as well, not only due to official role and team, but due to the fact that the Lord is always teaching each of us something unique to practice in community. In 2015, I was co-Drama-leader and helped fill the skit-book by creatively writing, preparing youth groups and staff for programs, and attempting new creative endeavors like staff art that communicated the gospel story in sections and spoken word poetry reading; I also sent a lot of emails and explanations to youth groups as well as learning all about their lives as we met and discussed the things of the Lord. I also read through the Bible for the first time all the way through start to finish that Summer as I struggled with neck pain. Last Summer (Isaiah and I's first year on staff since 2015), I was wifey by title (the best title and work I've ever had). I spent a lot of time on Domestics and leading Prayer team (re-learned to love prayer so much more deeply last Summer). I had been feeling a tug to work on servanthood, and I leaned into the Spirit's gentle push. I read Chuck Swindoll's "Improving your Serve" after hearing an interview from Tim Tebow's mother who highly recommended it; did a lot of dishes; prepped a lot of meals, and made the occasional midnight snack for hungry returning evangelists from leftovers; I also cleaned a lot of fridges and put away many groceries. Praise the Lord for the gift of getting to serve; God developed so many needed things in me through this. I also spoke to a ton of regulars at the Chapel who struggle in various ways (homeless, etc.) and got a bad batch Covid-19 for almost a month, and so spent a good amount of time in bed listening to sermons on the heart of a servant when I couldn't do it. I feel that last Summer I grew in tenacity and endurance, and also learned some lessons in humility. 

This Summer, though I haven't felt a strong specific push into a certain area, I am finding myself more in a mentor/friend role as I embrace community more here with my soul and not only my body (it can take me a while to warm-up and feel a place in new areas, and hence I share more and more of myself as I stay). I am also really trying to support Isaiah by keeping in touch with prayer partners (some via this blog!) and family as he works so hard each night, as well as remember to get him to rest and do devotions alongside him in the morning. I have been feeling more of a relational touch in my unofficial role this year, though I continue to help with homeyness, creative details, be in the occasional skit, and try to help with administrative home organization (I will also be chore-checker this Summer). I have also been passionate about Prayer and the Word this Summer--esp. the Word. I've been enjoying a Thursday night Bible Study with Lacey Andrews via Zoom, am looking forward to digging into the Word when Girl's Bible Study starts next week, and have been focusing my reading and audiobook listening on titles on Christian Living and the Bible itself (recently that has included Christie Purifoy's "Placemaker," which has been encouraging me to make beautiful spaces with love no matter where I am, and Ruth Chou Simons' "When Strivings Cease: Replacing the Gospel of Self-Improvement," which I started after a Chris Byrd lecture during training last week when I realized I needed to be drenched in the truth of justification again). I am excited to go out on teams to evangelize as well (I got to do so a bit last year, and would love to do it more this one), but I am really trying to simply take each day as it comes--not expecting my body or self to perform beyond what it's capable of (as I am prone to do), but I am asking the Lord each day what He would like for me that day, and then doing just that as things and people come up. I love this less-planned existence after so many years of strict schedules in education. My favorite hymn is "Day by Day" for a reason; I am slow by nature, but big in desire and goals; hence, I need to slow down and listen to my Shepherd and what He would have for me rather than simply entering headfirst into task-mode without thought. I must pray and listen before I do. I have been practicing that for years now, so hopefully, eventually, it will occur more naturally. I hope in the Lord's sanctifying work! 

I was chatting last night with a female leader on staff and realized that honestly each person's journey, needs, calling, and role this year are all genuinely different, and there is room, space, and a need for all of us. Before I left home, whilst we were in the throws of packing, my friend and mentor Dorothy-Jane said something that helped then and is helping now. I had professed that I felt I was doing my best with packing, but that I wasn't as logically-minded, strong, or resilient as Isaiah. I professed that though I could continue to do small things and love people when tired, my logic and common-sense often leaves without sleep, and so I felt discouraged and like I wasn't helping as I'd like. She said, "If you just do what you can do, then someone else won't have to do that. All help is forward motion." That aided me so much in the following days. When I couldn't think properly, I'd offer someone helping a snack or water, or I'd simply ask advice about how to pack a box, or sweep or clean recently cleared areas since that required simple doing and less thought; or simply fed the cat so Isaiah wouldn't have to, or filled up his water bottles, etc. I helped in areas, so other people didn't have to do those things. That simple advice is helping me here as well. My favorite movie is "You've Got Mail," and I identify with Meg Ryan's character so much in that movie. She has one quote that speaks to me on such a visceral level: "Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? " I often feel friendly but small in the things I complete and the things I value as well, but the truth is that the kingdom isn't measured in the ways of men. We all--PR lady, Evangelism Intern, regular staff, mom donating kitchen items, visiting youth group leader, mentor and letter-witter to someone on staff, or a wife trying to find her way in the big world of the BWC, there is a place for all of us, for when done in true love and through the strength of Christ, all help is forward motion.  

The calling of individuals whether in Church, the work force, or here in this ministry is deep (God is always working on the heart of the believer as they serve) and it is wide (there is much that can and does get done in many areas; and furthermore, we serve a God of multiplication). So, no matter what team we're on, what role we play, what tasks we complete or people we love in a day, let us offer our bread and fish, and watch our Father work miracles! 

-C. 

Comments

  1. It's so good to hear what you are up to and what life is like for you these days. When you get further into it I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Ruth Chou Simons' "When Strivings Cease: Replacing the Gospel of Self-Improvement" because it sounds helpful! Also regarding the last paragraph, have you read the book "Ordinary" by Michael Horton? Did we talk about that before? The "little" tasks are valuable, and what you do is seen (by God, and also by people). And the little things are definitely missed when they aren't done! Some of my early memories that have stuck with me and influenced me until now are the small acts of kindness toward me, done with love. I love and miss you, and you and Isaiah are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Present and the Future: The Human Challenge

The Things that Shaped Me: A Mental Health Journey

BWC & Life Update: Mold, Vineyards, Sickness, and Fellowship